Things to see on Aldehuela
The La Aldehuela district was built at the end of the 40’s to house the workers from the power station.
Nowadays the dam has become a nesting centre for birds such as the Great Crested Grebe and other species which have found an ideal haven in the reed beds along its banks.
History of Aldehuela
The power station began operations in 1950. It used water from the dam for its closed circuit refrigeration system and was fed coal from the mines which was transported by means of aerial cables. In 1958 a third generator was installed at the power station in order to increase its capacity but the mines in the area were unable to supply enough coal and then extra coal had to be brought in by road from other neighbouring coal mines. The power station closed down in 1982.